[Qt-creator] Unable to configure plain C++ project in Qt Creator without Qt installed

Alfonso Chartier alfonso.chartier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:38:47 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with using Qt Creator as the IDE for
development of some of our legacy non-Qt code. I have been able to
customize the build process so that qmake is not used and the correct
compiler is invoked, which is great.

I'm now at the point where I'd like to get other developers on board. I
want to avoid having developers install Qt, as it is a dependency they will
not be using for our legacy code. I tried uninstalling all versions of Qt
on PC, however it now does not let me configure the project because it
complains that a valid kit could not be found. The kit I have defined is
perfectly valid except that "None" shows up for the Qt version, as expected.

My question is: is there a way I can configure a kit such that it doesn't
depend on Qt? If this is currently not possible, is this something that
could be implemented in a future version of Qt Creator? I love Qt Creator
and it's a fantastic IDE, I just think removing the Qt dependency would
make it an IDE that is much easier to adopt for non-Qt-based development.

Thanks!

Alfonso