[Qt-creator] Setup of Projects with CMake & VS Compilers

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:35:47 CET 2013

Just to follow up on this a bit more here is my experience trying to set this up:

Download the software:
  Windows SDK 7.1
  Windows Debugging Tools stuff
  Windows SP1 update for Windows SDK 7.1

Installed in the order Microsoft suggests. The issue came when I installed the "SP1" update. Microsoft, in their awesome quality control, forgot a critical file "ammintrin.h" that gets *removed* when you update using SP1. This will cause issues when trying to compile Qt. So really you need to go find that header file, copy it somewhere safe, run the SP1 installer, then copy the file back into the original location.

 After that you can install QtCreator, setup your paths and stuff and you have a compiler stack that does NOT have Visual Studio at all but just QtCreator. After some experimentation with CMake and what generator to use, adding QtKits to QtCreator I finally did get this working. It was a lot more work than it probably should have been. Microsofts suggestion is to download the free Visual Studio 2012 express and then just add the Debugging Tools as an extra download to achieve the same thing but quicker.

Hope that helps someone
---
MJ.