[Qt-creator] Odp: Adding folder with sources to project

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 14 22:26:00 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:28:15PM +0100, Paweł Faron wrote:
> >> I have a question. After "Importing Project" to QtCreator I have
> >> the possibility to "Add Existing Files...", where I can choose
> >> single files and add them.
> >>
> >> But What I really want is the possibility to choose a directory
> >> from which QtCreator should pick files (and from subdirectories)
> >> and add them to project. It's should be also great to have the
> >> possibility to specify what file extensions I'm interested in.
> >Click on "Edit files".
>
> >> Is it a big effort to implement such a functionality?
> >Yes.
>
> >daniel
>
> Totally not knowing QtCreator source code I was able to add this
> functionality in coupe of minutes (excluding build and run time).
> Details below:
>
> There is a function:
>
> void ProjectExplorerPlugin::addExistingFiles(const QStringList
> &filePaths)
>
> which is invoked when a user select files to add. When we give it
> files from different directories it behaves correctly.
>
> So all we need to do is to add new action (e.g. ?Add Existing
> Directory??) in which we allow a user to choose directory which we
> recursively search for files and invoke this function with list of
> those files.
>
> If I?ll create some patch for this functionality will you add it to
> QtCreator?

Depends of course on what exactly you write in the patch ;-)

But sure, it's possible and not unusual to directly contribute to
Qt Creator development.

The process to follow is pretty much the same as for Qt itself. See

  http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Contribution-Guidelines

for details.

This might look a bit complex on first sight, but really isn't too bad.
Most of it is a one-time activity (reading the rules, setting up the
gerrit account), after that it's pretty streamlined.

If you have troubles to get started, feel free to ask on #qt-creator
on FreeNode IRC, or here.

Andre'