[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 2.8 on Linux - g++ version

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Tue Jul 2 13:02:44 CEST 2013

On 02.07.2013, at 12:19, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 02.07.2013, 14:14, "Ziller Eike" <Eike.Ziller at digia.com>:
>> On 02.07.2013, at 11:22, Peter Pearson <peter at thefoundry.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi,

>>>  While trying the beta of 2.8 on Linux 64, I notice it now needs a
>>>  libstdc++ for g++ 4.6 or greater.
>>>
>>>  This is slightly annoying, as for platforms like RHEL / CentOS 6.4, they
>>>  come with g++ 4.4, so it's not possible to run Qt Creator 2.8 without
>>>  building a new g++ from source using either setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>>  to the newer libstdc++ location, or symb-linking it.
>>>
>>>  Was this decision by design?
>>
>> Qt Creator 2.7 packages were built on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>> Qt Creator 2.8 packages are built on Ubuntu 11.10, which puts it in line with the Qt 5 packages.
>> (And also support for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has ended in May this year.)
>
> What is the point of binary packages if they don't work on reasonably modern distros?
> Why not build on CentOS 6.x instead?

It is basically impossible to provide a single binary build that works even on all "reasonably modern" distros (however that might be defined). We have seen that over and over again, and that's why it was decided a longer time ago to use Ubuntu as a reference platform. (Even providing a binary package that works through multiple Ubuntu versions has its trickiness as we've seen in the past.)

Btw, creating a distributable Qt Creator 7zip should be as easy as

qmake -r CONFIG+=release QTC_PREFIX=/qt-creator-2.8.0 && make && make -j1 docs install install_docs deployqt bindist

if you feel like creating binaries for some specific Linux distribution (and version of that distribution).
('deployqt' optionally if you are not using a system installed Qt from the distribution or want Qt bundled in any case)

Br, Eike