[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 2.8 on Linux - g++ version

Peter Pearson peter at thefoundry.co.uk
Tue Jul 2 13:15:14 CEST 2013

On 02/07/13 12:02, Ziller Eike wrote:

> It is basically impossible to provide a single binary build that works even on all "reasonably modern" distros (however that might be defined). We have seen that over and over again, and that's why it was decided a longer time ago to use Ubuntu as a reference platform. (Even providing a binary package that works through multiple Ubuntu versions has its trickiness as we've seen in the past.)

Sorry, but I don't believe this is true, at least in a practical sense
if you're willing to build with older compilers - I write software for
Linux distros, and we build with g++ 4.1 for precisely this reason: so
that it's pretty much guaranteed to work on a useful range of modern and
older systems.

It's annoying having to build with an older compiler for sure, but
things are generally backwards compatible (so modern systems can run
older exes built with older compilers), as long as everything (stuff
like zlib and libpng) is statically linked, as opposed to dynamically to
the system ones.

A *lot* of places are very conservative with distro upgrades and I know
a lot of places still on CentOS 5.2/4.

Peter