[Qt-creator] Slow cdb

David Schulz david.schulz at digia.com
Tue Jun 4 10:27:34 CEST 2013

Hi Peter,

the warning could result from using the Microsoft Symbol Server.
The problem is that the cdb tries to get all your symbols from this server.
What results in some overhead for all the symbols which are not
available. For Example the whole Qt and QtCreator libraries.

If you have a Creator checkout from the 2.8 branch you schould be able
to add a symbol cache to the symbol paths for the cdb in the options
under Debugger -> CDBPaths -> Symbol Paths -> Insert... -> Symbol Cache...
It is important that you insert the cache before the symbol server
otherwise the symbols wouldn't get cached and read before the server is
contacted.

If you are using an older QtCreator add the symbolcache manually. The
setting can be found under Options -> Debugger -> CDB -> Paths -> Symbol
Paths -> Edit... in versions < 2.8.

For Example:
cache*C:\dev\symbolcache

srv*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

You should also remove the folder from the path with srv*. Otherwise The
symbols from the server would be cached in two places.

BR David