[Qt-creator] Planning Qt Creator 2.8 + 0.1

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Fri Jun 14 09:29:11 CEST 2013

On 13.06.2013, at 20:15, Jan Krause <jan.krause.no19 at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hi all,

Hej,

> it would be great if QtC could be better used as a framework for
> developing applications with different background (e.g. modeling,
> engineering, verification, test generation, etc.); similiar to eclipse
> but easier and much more beutiful ... :)
>
> I think the most is done. The plugins are clear and with some more
> documentation it is very easy to implement own plugins. With the new
> multi-monitor support, I think all features are available for using QtC
> as an application framework building nice apps with a very good user
> experience...
>
> But for this case some must-use-plugins (core, projectexplorer, welcome)
> should be implemented with a more clearly defined functionality; e.g. I
> don't need kits, compilers, etc. for my projects but I need the other
> functions of the projectexplorer-plugin. There are some more similiar
> issues, also within other plugins...I think, it is not much to do, but
> maybe some plugin-redesign is necessary...Also, it is really an option,
> that I'm totally wrong...
>
> But, I know, it is not the major focus of QtC being an application
> framework...but maybe…;)

Indeed it isn't, and the slow introduction of source/binary compatibility policies (i.e. that we have a policy that goes a bit further than "there is no compatibility") is not meant as a focus change :). The focus is still that Qt Creator is an IDE, that can be extended wrt some functionality. We want to make it easier for plugins that are not upstreamed for whatever reasons to follow Qt Creator's release cycle, though.

Br, Eike