[Qt-creator] Share external tools setting among team members

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Thu Mar 28 07:59:07 CET 2013

Hi,
the directory where Qt Creator saves these configurations depends on the platform,
on Linux/Mac this is ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator,
on Windows %APPDATA%/QtProject/qtcreator, where %APPDATA% is e.g.
<drive>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming on Windows Vista and later.

External tools are saved at <configdir>/externaltools, color schemes at
<configdir>/styles, custom snippets in <configdir>/snippets, coding styles at
<configdir>/codestyles. These are read directly from
there at Qt Creator startup, so just dropping the files there should just work, e.g. by
bundling them in a zip, and unzipping them into the configdir (unzip keeps existing
directories and files). .qch files have to be registered manually in the Qt Creator
preferences, currently there is no way to have them automatically pulled from somewhere.
For keyboard shortcut schemes the same, though there is no way to have multiple schemes
there anyhow, besides exporting and importing (which is different to color schemes and
coding styles, which I think should be made more consistent).

> While exporting of
> some of these settings is supported individually (e.g., coding style and
> keyboard shortcuts) and the rest can be set up manually, it would be far more
> convenient to have a way to bundle all these settings together and just import
> them all in one go without requiring multiple steps or the need to manually set
> them up. I think this would be very valuable when using Qt Creator in a
> collaborative environment.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

Just from my own experience here, most settings are too varied and indiviual to share (often the sharing of the *existence* of the setting is what's most needed ;) ). I see sense for a collaborative environment to share snippets, external tools, coding styles and documentation though, not so much for the rest.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Senior Software Engineer

Digia Germany GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13, D-12489 Berlin
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B,
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius
Digia Germany is a group company of Digia Plc,
Valimotie 21, FI-00380 Helsinki Finland
Visit us at: www.digia.com