[Qt-creator] QtCreator master buggy past ~3 weeks

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 11 11:21:27 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 06:02:34PM +1000, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi, I've been building QtCreator from recent git (once every day or so)
> for over a year now and mostly find that this works out OK.  however in
> the past few weeks Its been very unstable (segfaults 8+ times a day - if
> I had to guess).
>
> I reported one of the crashes and was told this is fixed in 2.7 but not
> master, is there some reason not to apply fixes for crashes to master?

2.7 is merged into master every now and then, usually about once per
week, or when "needed". The issue you mentioned was created on April 29
and supposedly fixed on April 30, so it should already have been
merged into master on May 3. Do you still see it?

> If so, is there some way to know at any point in time which git repo is
> most up to date and stable? (since it seems this changes around during
> development).

The released branch (i.e. 2.7) should always be more "stable" and the
"master" branch is generally more "up-to-date".

Where your personal balance is is hard to say, "master" is usually
usable for the setups developers run on there own machines. At "beta"
time this should also cover "other setups", so that's about the time
when I personally would ask the more adventurous souls to switch so
that remaining glitches can be caught and fixed before the final.

One option is to keep two builds around, use master, and if that fails,
report the failure and switch back to 2.7 until the issue trickled
through jira and gerrit.

Andre'