[Qt-creator] Showing QString value in the Debugger

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:32:59 CEST 2013

System: OS X 10.8.5 with Xcode 4.6 tools. QtCreator 2.8.1.

I can not seem to "see" the value for even simple things like a QString. Here is a simple function that I have a break point in:

QString QFilterParametersReader::readValue(const QString name, QString value)
{
  BOOST_ASSERT(m_Prefs != NULL);
  return m_Prefs->value(name, value).toString();
}

In the debugger I have this:

	Locals
		name	@0x7fff5fbff708	QString &
		this	0x10549d1c0	QFilterParametersReader *
		value	@0x7fff5fbff700	QString &

I swear I _used_ to actually see the value for the QString but not anymore. I know that the GDB on OS X is not as feature complete as a newer GDB on say Linux, but I really thought I used to be able to see the actual value of the QString in the debugger. I have tried rebuilding the debugger helper, adding some symlinks from ~/Library/Application Support/QtCreator/qtc-debugging-helper to the actual location of the debugging helper library but nothing.

So is this possible with my system/qt creator configuration? I know this is "operator error" but I am just not sure where to look.

Thanks
--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson & gmail * com