[Qt-creator] New Design #3

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 13:14:07 CEST 2013

On 10 September 2013 12:57, Elias Steurer <elias at evolutionzone.net> wrote:
> Hello sierdzio,
>
> I admit it is not very easy to see but I tried to combine both ways. You see the little down arrow an the Kartoffel.js and dropdown.js tab? My idea behind that is to get to the last edited files quickly but also have the drop down menu.  Do you think that’s an good idea?
>
> Best,
> Eli

CCing the mailing list again, hope you don't mind.

Sorry, but no. I know the current trend in all apps is to hide
everything from the main view, but we are developers here. I want
useful stuff to be available with a single click, not hidden away. I
don't want to be forced to swipe, click, or hover over anything just
to get the list of open files. In my daily work (I use Qt Creator both
for private developement and at work), I routinely have 10+ open
files, sometimes rising up to 20 or 30. I need to be able to access
them quickly and current design of Qt Creator is perfect for me in
that respect. What may be missing is a quick search bar at the top of
project view, as sometimes the treeView there is really complicated.
But that is a minor detail.

As Diego said, though - don't get discouraged :) It's very good that
you are trying to change stuff, and we will keep complaining, but
hopefully after several iterations we will get something that is good
for most people.

sierdzio.