[Qt-creator] Refreshing the project tree

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Sep 16 20:24:58 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:03:38PM +0200, Orgad Shaneh wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM, André Pönitz <
> andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:32:58AM +0000, Hunger Tobias wrote:
>     > > Currently running qmake doesn't seem to update the project tree. If
>     > > running qmake did update it, that would be fine. I don't know if there
>     > > are other use cases where it may be desirable (or clearer) to have a
>     > > separate explicit "refresh project tree" button available.
>     >
>     > That is correct: I am not aware of forcing a reparse short of touching a
>     > .pro file. [...]
>     > Or are you relying on wildcards here? That would be strange, considering
>     > that you generate the code and could just add it to the .pro files while
>     > at it anyway.  But even with wildcards it should be trivial to just touch
>     > any .pro/.pri file.
>
>     Giving the discussion I wonder whether this should simply be forced
>     when running Build->Run qmake explicitly.
>
>     This should ease Alfonso's pain and not really hurt other uses.
>

> I disagree. We have a project with thousands of files, and the "Evaluating"
> phase takes at least 10-15 seconds (not to mention the subsequent Parsing).

How often do you manually trigger that action? (Serious question, I barely
use it, but then I regularly build from the command line)

> I wouldn't want to reparse the project every time I run qmake.
>
> That said, it would be very useful for us as well to have an action for
> reparsing the project. We use wildcards for source files as well as INI files
> (in OTHER_FILES).

A separate options sounds ok, too, it'd just looks like a bit of clutter in
a top-level menu for a rare use case.

What about yet another checkbox in the global Build&Run settings?

Andre'