[Qt-creator] Adding support for a new programming language to Qt Creator

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Sep 20 16:40:02 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I'm new user of Qt Creator, so please forgive me if the question here is naive
-- I have tried searching around for an answer without really finding anything
definitive.

How can one go about adding support for new languages to Qt Creator?  From what
I have seen there is a fairly substantial collection of syntax highlighting
rulesets (all derived from Kate?), but these don't necessarily correspond to
support for things like auto-indentation and obviously don't offer support for
build or debugging tools.

The language I'm particularly interested in adding support for is D
<http://dlang.org>.  There is already syntax support in place with a d.xml
that's taken from Kate (and dates from about 2 years ago).  I'd like to be able
to extend that with auto-indentation (and if possible autocompletion) support,
and to be able to add support for compiling and debugging D (it should be
possible to do this with GDB and LLDB).

I know from the D language forums that about 3 years ago there was some interest
in adding D support to Qt Creator, but so far as I can see this didn't go beyond
the syntax highlighting file.

Qt Creator makes a great candidate for a light, fast and effective
cross-platform IDE which doesn't carry a huge baggage of dependencies, so I'd
really like to have good D support in it.  Any advice on how to go about doing
this would be really appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

     -- Joe