[Qt-creator] Adding support for a new programming language to Qt Creator

Orgad Shaneh orgads at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:45:24 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <
joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new user of Qt Creator, so please forgive me if the question here is
> naive
> -- I have tried searching around for an answer without really finding
> anything
> definitive.
>
> How can one go about adding support for new languages to Qt Creator?  From
> what
> I have seen there is a fairly substantial collection of syntax highlighting
> rulesets (all derived from Kate?), but these don't necessarily correspond
> support for things like auto-indentation and obviously don't offer support
> for
> build or debugging tools.
>
> The language I'm particularly interested in adding support for is D
> <http://dlang.org>.  There is already syntax support in place with a d.xml
> that's taken from Kate (and dates from about 2 years ago).  I'd like to be
> able
> to extend that with auto-indentation (and if possible autocompletion)
> support,
> and to be able to add support for compiling and debugging D (it should be
> possible to do this with GDB and LLDB).
>
> I know from the D language forums that about 3 years ago there was some
> interest
> in adding D support to Qt Creator, but so far as I can see this didn't go
> beyond
> the syntax highlighting file.
>
> Qt Creator makes a great candidate for a light, fast and effective
> cross-platform IDE which doesn't carry a huge baggage of dependencies, so
> I'd
> really like to have good D support in it.  Any advice on how to go about
> doing
> this would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
>      -- Joe

A good starting point might be the PythonEditor plugin. It was written as
an educational (yet functional) plugin for an officially unsupported
language.

It has some bugs (auto-indentation was awful the last time I've checked),
but you can start there.

- Orgad