[Qt-creator] BM: Problem with breakpoints when debugging of ARM on Windows using openocd

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Wed Dec 10 14:07:45 CET 2014

Hi Dennis

Answers inline.
> * Windows 8 x32
> * QtCreator v3.3.0 (from snapshot)
> * ARM GCC toolchain: gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q3-20140805-win32.exe
> * OpenOCD from:
> http://gnutoolchains.com/arm-eabi/openocd/OpenOCD-0.8.0-Win32.zip
> * GDB 7.8 with Pythos support, from this WIKI:
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtCreatorBuildGdb
> * Target - stm23f4discovery
>
> The OpenOCD is running with this command:
>
> "c:\openocd\bin>openocd.exe -s c:\openocd\share\openocd\scripts\ -f
> board\stm32f4discovery.cfg"
>
> And I get a following info output:
> "
> Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0 (2014-05-02-12:11)
> Licensed under GNU GPL v2
> For bug reports, read
>         http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
> srst_only separate srst_nogate srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst
> Info : This adapter doesn't support configurable speed
> Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v21 API v2 SWIM v0 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
> Info : using stlink api v2
> Info : Target voltage: 2.914184
> Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
> Info : accepting 'gdb' connection from 3333
> Info : device id = 0x10016413
> Info : flash size = 1024kbytes
> "
>
> The BM plugin of QTC are configured as:
>
> "
> GDB host: localhost
> GDB port: 3333
> Init commands:
> - monitor reset halt
>
> - load
>
> - monitor reset halt
>
> Reset commands:
>
> - monitor reset halt
>
> "
>

> = PROBLEM =
>
> When try do setup breakpoint in QtCreator, I got following error:
>
> "
> Cannot continue debugged process:
> Warning:
> Cannot insert hardware breakpoints:
> You may have requested too many hardware breakpoints/watchpoints
> "
>
> and from the OCD console I see:
>
> "
> Info : only breakpoints of two bytes length supported
> Error: can't add breakpoint: resource not available
> Info : dropped 'gdb' connection
> "
>
> >From this resource:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/mailman/message/32178948/
> I found out, that, seems need to re-build the OCD with a patch to cutting
> of DBG command
> length.
>
> But, this is strange, because on Linux host, the debugging with OCD works
> without any problems..
I think you probably have more a problem with openocd than qtcreator in this
case. Please try running the same openocd version you have verified working
under linux.

Also to further debug just start openocd with the right config and start a gdb
manually eg.:
<prefix->-gdb <myexecutable>
tar rem :3333
monitor reset halt
load
monitor reset halt
b main

see if this works. If you now the limits of your hardware it is also advisable
to set them from the gdb interface:
set remote hardware-breakpoint-limit 6
set remote hardware-watchpoint-limit 4

But i don't think that this helps in the current case.

Best regards
Tim