[Qt-creator] User settings file and collaborative work

Barbara Post bpo at eonix.be
Tue Feb 25 09:03:37 CET 2014

Hello,

Initially posted to qt-project.org forum, now bringing the subject here, thanks to a suggestion.

Reading this old closed feature request (https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-7888) I think of basic project situation which I work with right now:

-  I develop a custom Qt plugin
-  I have to copy my dll to a specific folder for execution by a plugins host
- I have to run a custom executable to launch this plugins host program and use my custom plugin
-  An environment variable is used for base path of commands configured in build/run settings

So if anyone else works on project it would be fine that:

- when reconfiguring project since his/her kit is slightly different from mine, all the other things are kept (build/run custom commands). I didn't verify what happens
- timestamp change wouldn't be effective so often, only when there are modifications, this would be better when working with version control.

So my suggestion is to move commands to another file than the user settings, surely in a custom syntax in .pro file. This way we could also have build/run commands way more flexible (use of environment variables, not just elimited to sourceDir andbuildDir).

And keep other things in .pro.user that would be safely ignored by version control without loosing information.

This idea came to me immediately after playing with build/run settings, I told myself, duh this is not as convenient as in Visual Studio (where I daily practice C#).

Just my two cents :-)

Thanks for reading,

Barbara