[Qt-creator] Best practices in managing kits (build&run settings) department wide

Liebe Markus (RtP2/TEF72) Markus.Liebe at de.bosch.com
Fri Jun 6 14:00:34 CEST 2014

Hi there,

we are using QtCreator for quite a large code base here.

It is a big .pro project hierarchy with loads of referenced .pro files.

We are developing on Linux machines and have several build hosts which we use to compile the same code on different systems.

Our setup allows us to ssh into one of the build hosts (the home directory magically moves there, too - because it is NFS mounted on the build hosts) and issue qmake / make there as we would locally.

Thus we achieved the remote build.

Concerning QtCreator:

To use the described remote build, we have to customize the build steps in the used kit.

Command: "remote.ssh" ( a script that does the ssh for us )

Arguments: "buildHostDescription qmake -r make"

Now we are able to start QtCreator on our workstation, hit "build" and QtCreator uses remote.ssh script to logon to the build host described in "buildHostDescription" and calls qmake -r and make.

The build issues etc. are filled as if we were on the local machine.

This works quite good.

The problem we are facing at the moment is that the BuildSteps are stored in the .pro.user files.

As far as I know the kits in contrast are stored in the users .config/QtProject/<somewhere> directory.

At the moment we are using .pro.user files that are managed via version control as well.

Each developer has to get the same .pro.user file to get the selection of predefined Build Configuration.

This is very hard to manage, because the .pro.user files are quite large and contain (for our case) a lot of noise.

I would like to be able to define "common" or "shared" build settings, that can go with the version control and can be used by all developers without having to manage the complete ".pro.user" files.

The same applies for "Toolchains" and "Kits" in general.

Btw. I have already tried to achieve this with .pro.shared files - but I did not succeed.

Can you give me a hint on how to achieve this?

What are your recommendations?

What are your intentions as developers of QtCreator on how to correctly use the kits in a scenario as described above?

Mit freundlichen Gr??en / Best regards

Markus Liebe

Robert Bosch GmbH
Automotive Electronics,