[Qt-creator] Remote GDB debugging.

Tim Hutt tdhutt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:45:28 CEST 2014

Oh wow, that finally did the trick! Everything works! So in summery here
were the things that I wish I had known/need to be fixed:

1. You need to build a gdb with arm and python support. There is a Makefile
in the QtCreator repo which will download all the code and build it for you
nicely.
2. But first you need to change the targets to "targets=arm-none-eabi" and
the hard-coded arch on line 113 to "arm-none-eabi".
3. If using QBS you must have "application" in your "type" property. It
might need to be first; I'm not sure. But it doesn't work if "application"
is implicitly built - it must be explicitly listed.
4. You must disable QML debugging in the run configuration or you'll get an
empty error dialog when debugging and it won't work.
5. You must use the appropriate "monitor" commands in the device
configuration, otherwise breakpoints won't do anything:

mon speed 10000
mon endian little
mon flash download = 1
mon flash device = NRF51822
mon reset 0

6. You must enable "Use asynchronous mode to control the inferior" or
QtCreator will crash when you pause execution or set breakpoints while it's
running.
7. You probably want to disable "Show a message box when receiving a
signal" or you'll get a pointless dialog every time you pause execution.

Phew! Well, now that it works I'm pretty happy! That was a lot of effort
though with more than a few Qt Creator bugs. I guess BareMetal is pretty
new. Thanks very much for writing it Tim and thanks everyone for your help!

Hopefully at some point I will have time to put this in a nice tutorial
form on the Qt wiki, but I guess this email will be searchable by google at
least. Here's some keywords: Nordic nRF51822 nRF51422 ARM Cortex SEGGER Qt
Creator  QBS debug GDB.

Cheers,

Tim

PS: I don't think I ever solved the --datadirectory problem, but I'll leave
that for now.