[Qt-creator] Using C++11 in Creator's source

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at digia.com
Fri Mar 7 11:42:30 CET 2014

On 04.03.2014 14:09, Daniel Teske wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we have branched 3.1 from master, master no longer needs to support OS X
> 10.6. As such I propose, that we open up master for those C++11 features that
> are supported by VS 2010, g++ 4.5 and clang 3.1.

That is the list that is used for Qt 5, but why can't we go for
something a bit newer?

I just checked the available gcc versions in Linux distros on
distrowatch.com:

debian stable (7):		gcc 4.7
debian old-stable (6):	 	gcc 4.4.5
RHEL 6.5			gcc 4.4.7
SLES 11-SP3			gcc 4.3.4
ubuntu 13.10			gcc 4.8.1
ubuntu 12.04 LTS		gcc 4.6.3
ubuntu 14.04 LTS		gcc 4.8.x (will be current by the time
                                    we release QtC 3.2)

Some more data points:

Mingw from Qt 4.8.5		gcc 4.4 (not shipped)
Mingw from Qt 5.2.1		gcc 4.8 (shipped with Qt package)

XCode 5				based on LLVM 3.3
XCode 4.6			based on LLVM 3.2 (oldest one still
                                    available for download!)

So going for gcc 4.5 we dropping support for the compilers found in
debian/oldstable, RHEL, SLES and are above the min. requirement for
Mingw as set by Qt 4.8.5.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is also no longer an option, but then the next LTS will
be out by the time we release QtC 3.2.

So I propose this set:

gcc 4.7, clang 3.2 and MSVC 2010.

If somebody feels strongly about ubuntu 12.04, then we can still go for
gcc 4.6 (which adds nullptr and some more things on top of gcc 4.5).

Gcc 4.7 has almost complete support for C++ 11. Missing are some things
in the concurrency area, and some small features here and there.

See: http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html

Clang 3.2 is in a similarly complete state. Again some blank spots in
the concurrency area and some small things missing here and there.

See: http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

Only MSVC 2010 is somewhat behind the others.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx

I am no Windows user, maybe we can just bump the requirement to MSVC
2012 there? That would be a huge step forward for our C++11 support!

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin. USt-IdNr: DE 286 306 868