[Qt-creator] Configure Qt Creator for Windows Phone

Knight Andrew Andrew.Knight at digia.com
Thu Mar 20 15:31:29 CET 2014

Hi,

Known issue (https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-37618). Fixes for this have already been submitted, so it will shouldn't be there in the official Beta.

> So, I added a kit manually and it started to work, but it could not find windeployqt or winrtrunner. I solved this adding the path to PATH, but I don't think this is the right solution.

Strange... this should have worked even with manual kits.

> Then the example compiled but it failed  in the linking phase. It could not find an object file (sorry, I do not remember the name) and I solved it adding a LIB environment variable.

Again, a bit strange. We haven't seen this problem. If you see it again, let us know.

> Now, the example compiles, but the a dialog box appears wit the title "Custom Executable" and asks for an executable. I didn't know what executable and parameters was asking for, finally I put windeployqt and it make it work.

This shouldn't happen if the WinRt plugin is enabled and/or you haven't set the kit's device type to "Windows Phone". As it's disabled by default, check that it is enabled (Help->About Plugins).

> Last, I had to zip all the files and rename them to .xap and deploy it with xapdeploy.exe and it works in the phone!!!

Great, but you shouldn't need to do this. The plugin (or winrtrunner, more precisely) will do this for you.

> How can I configure QT Creator to do automate all of this? I'd like not having to put environment variables that are for the phone but I have to change for the emulator, create the .xap file and deploy the program.

By getting the kit to use the Windows Phone device type, as described above.

Note that there is no debugging support or debug output yet for Windows Phone, unfortunately. So, while it's not hard to get something running, chances are you'll need to fire up Visual Studio to do anything serious with the Beta.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck going forward :)

Cheers,
Andrew