[Qt-creator] Building QtCreator with Meson and results of static analysis

Jussi Pakkanen jpakkane at gmail.com
Sat May 17 19:54:21 CEST 2014

Hi all

I'm working on a new build system called Meson (
https://sourceforge.net/projects/meson/) . To test its scalability and
usability I rewrote Qt Creator's build system in Meson.The full details are
here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/meson/mailman/message/32335155/

tl/dr version: LInux only, configures in 5 seconds, 4310 lines of build
definitions wheres qmake has 12000, and qbs has 8000). The version I built
is trunk from a few weeks ago (when I started working on this).

Once I got that working I figured I'd run Qt Creator through Clang's static
analyzer. It found a bunch of issues. Here's the full output:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37517477/qtc-scanresults.zip

Some quick observations:

- most false positives are cause by QTC_CHECK not marking its error
function with QNORETURN
- there are several issues with Botan, which is a bit worrisome for a
crypto library

As an example of a found issue is a dereference of null pointer from
qmljstypedescriptionreader.cpp, line 490:

if (!ast || !ast->statement) {
    <- Assuming 'ast' is null
    addError(ast->colonToken, tr("Expected numeric literal after colon."));
    <- Forming reference to null pointer

That's about it. I hope you found this useful and/or informative.

Thanks,