[Qt-creator] Preparing to contribute Boost.Build Plugin to Qt Creator

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Wed Apr 15 10:47:18 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:15:40AM +0300, Orgad Shaneh wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> > The issue here is, that I know the current code will be rejected
> > straight away due to Qt(Creator)-incompatible coding conventions
> > used.  So, we need to port to Qt coding style and we will be working
> > on it as a team.
> >
> It won't be rejected. Wip branches are exactly for that - submitting
> changes that are unacceptable under regular terms, while the final
> review will be done in a single squashed commit when the work on this
> branch is done.

it depends on how the involed parties want to work. it certainly would
be possible to polish the "initial import" into a state that is
acceptable in itself and build other self-contained changes on top. that
tends to be unrealistic for big contributions by inexperienced
developers, so a squash is typically unavoidable, but it comes with
downsides as well (especially if it is team work, as work becomes not
individually attributable any more).

also, never forget that a gerrit review is a branch in itself. i have a
branch with 40+ changes pending for months in gerrit (reviewers for perl
code wanted, btw :D).

> You should have access to +2 changes for this branch yourself.

not yet. it's preferable not to do that if the team can get an approver
involved. which you definitely should, because early feedback
significantly reduces the total cost.