[Qt-creator] Tab UI in Projects mode to TreeView

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Mon Aug 3 14:46:41 CEST 2015

> On Jul 24, 2015, at 3:36 AM, Tasuku Suzuki <stasuku at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks all for positive feedback.
>
> Let me summarize to move on.
>
> * the change two level project tabs to a side tree
> I see many people like the idea.

I also do not like the two-level tabs as they are now, but I don’t have a great feeling for using a tree view either. There is also the very common use case of just having one or max a couple of projects open simultaneously, and in that case there is just a lot of space white empty and wasted with a tree view.

From the original mail:

1) This is because the UI doesn't work well when I open many (more than
ten) projects at once or
2) when there are more than two projects with a
same name.

Issue 2) actually can make the width requirements for a tree view even greater (since at least part of the non-common path has to be included in the name) :/
(Side note: It should better not show the full path in that case, but so it similar like for the open documents, showing the smallest part of the path that makes them different.)

I’ve got the feeling that the tab bar works especially bad because it’s just a poor-man’s tab bar implementation ;) (e.g. single line, not even real scrolling)

Qt Creator-style would possibly be to replace the top level tab bar (the project selection) with a combo box?

Br, Eike