[Qt-creator] Clang Code Model and Performance

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:35:46 CEST 2015

We have been using the latest 3.5 Betas here at work (Because we need the CMake fixes) and while we like the completeness of the clang code model the performance is fairly slow. Our laptops are running OS X 10.8 or 10.9, Core i7 2.6GHz with 16GBs RAM. Both have SSDs. While we are typing code completions average around 3-4 seconds and completely stop us from typing. The block the GUI in other words. I understand this version is a Beta and slowness is to be expected. As a software developer I understand this. My question is more aimed at “ …. is this slowness to be expected” or “.. we know about it and we are actively trying to speed it up.”. I have not compared it to things like Xcode that also uses a clang code model but in the times lately that I have used Xcode I do not remember it being too slow.

Our project (http://www.github.com/dream3d/dream3d) has about 1,100 source files that are compiled and depends on other libraries such as (Qt 5.4, Qwt, Boost, TBB, Eigen, and ITK). I am wondering if libraries that are heavily templated like Boost, ITK and Eigen slow the completion down.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software