[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 3.4 binaries will be compiled with MSVC 2013 (dynamic opengl)

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Tue Mar 31 02:48:28 CEST 2015

Hi, couldn't resist taking you up on that XP claim :-)

I tested Qt Creator 3.3.81 built morning of March 30:

* On my XP machine: works fine (no patching required!)
* Windows 10 latest preview: works fine (future proof)
* Windows XP in Virtual Box 4.3.10: works fine
* Windows XP in VMWare Fusion 6.0.5: works fine
* Windows XP in VMWare Workstation 11.1.0: crashes with illegal
instruction in opengl32sw.dll :-( The cure is to delete that file
opengl32sw.dll and try again, then Qt Creator works, except of course
for the Welcome plugin which is not so welcoming)

So why the snag in the VMWare Workstation XP? Well I ran qtdiag.exe (BTW
what an excellent program that is, has no pretty UI but in my mind it's
part of the real gold in Qt) turns out in both VMWare cases it's the
same vmx_fb.dll that's used, for the XP in Fusion it returns LibGL
vendor VMWare Inc. format version 2.0, which seems kosher for
opengl32sw.dll. But for the XP in Workstation 11 it returns LibGL vendor
Microsoft Corp Generic GDI format version 1.1, and that's probably why
opengl32sw.dll goes haywire and has to be taken out behind the barn and
shot.

+ also for now installing the MSVC2013 dlls into the bowels of Windows,
the vanilla Qt 5.4.1 installs them alongside qtcreator.exe and as you
know this is heavily frowned upon by Microsoft. (Unless of course you
are Microsoft, in that case you can grant yourself an exemption from
this rule like when installing the new Visual C++ Tools/Windows 10 Kit.)

Rgrds Henry
P.S. BTW saw that 3.3.81 brings along Timeline.dll, is that a new
feature (QML profiler stuff)?