[Qt-creator] Providing a custom Kit in my own plugin

Filippo Cucchetto filippocucchetto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 21:48:48 CEST 2015

Dear Olivier,
with "we can't break the C++ user workflow" i mean that if we decide to
modify the UI
or workflow in any way, we should care not to break the C++ user
experience. Since that
it's the aim of QtCreator. Nothing more.

My project is public available here,
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/123629/
It's still in the codereview phase and i've not implemented the nim
toolchain yet.
Right now i suppose that the Nim compiler it's installed and available in
the user PATH.

Regarding the compiler for Nim the things are slightly different because
it uses the system C/C++ compiler so in the Toolchain widget i've to show
the native compiler options plus Nim specific options.

Right now i don't have a clear idea in how to improve the Kit UI for adding
support for multiple languages.
I'll plan to start as you by creating a NimToolChainFactory,
NimToolChainWidget and NimToolChain.
As Rust with Cargo, Nim has its own dependency manager "Nimble" so i'll do
the same by
adding a KitInformation for it.

We are both in the same boat :)

> Thanks for clearing things up.
>
> Based on your response, I carried on with my initial design choice (model
> Rust compilers as a ToolChain subclass), and I think it will work out well
> enough, even without filtering things out. The ToolChain API makes sense
> for a Rust compiler, except for the `predefinedMacros` method.
>
> What do you mean by "making sure not to introduce a regression for the
> C/C++ toolchains"? I interpret it as "things could blow up if user choose a
> Rust compiler for a C++ project", but I'm not sure that's what you had in
> mind.
>
> You will certainly hear from me very soon, when I'll get stuck for real!
>
> Olivier Renaud

Filippo Cucchetto