[Qt-creator] Clang Code Model Questions

Nikolai Kosjar nikolai.kosjar at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 30 12:32:57 CET 2015

Hi!

On 10/21/2015 03:33 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:
> I have been using the nightly builds of 3.5.1 and now 3.6.0 and it
> seems the editor is still running into hanging issues when the
> source file has anything other than trivial codes. I started trying
> to profile the code in an attempt to learn how/where the issue might
> be and if it is our own code base that is causing the issues.Most I
> have noticed is that “clangbackend” spins up and QtCreator hangs with
> a spinning beach ball for 5~10 seconds overtime I try to have a
> completion pop up. This makes the editor pretty much unusable.

When exactly does it start to hang? If you trigger completion? Is it
reproducible? The communication with the backend is asynchronous, it
shouldn't block the UI. Are you sure that the blocking does not occur
with the built-in code model for the same code and the same use case?

Please provide answers to this questions in a bug report.

> I just wanted to try to get a feel for where QtCreator was going and
> what the timelines are so that I can gauge how I will develop codes
> going forward.

The current focus lies on proper/usable highlighting, diagnostics and
completions from clang. Later indexing will be addressed, but that's
another story. For concrete questions, just ask.

> I generally like what I see with the newer features being added to
> QtCreator and want to keep using it but our code base, for what ever
> reason, just seems to give the clang code model fits when trying to
> complete our functions.

Again, the best you can do is to create proper bug reports.

Nikolai