[Qt-creator] Debugging Cpp code model, need help

Smirnov Vladimir mapron at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 31 09:16:20 CET 2015

Hello everyone.

Preface: I am planning upgrade to Boost 1.58 (because i need update to
MSVC2015, and old boost doesn't compile with it).
After trying upgrade to 1.59, I've noticed I got crash in almost every
file in project, which includes Boost.
Then, after hours of investigation I created a report
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15141
(someone could just paste these lines to editor to get crash).

...and continued debugging.
So what have i noticed?
- at some point, in Instantiator::doInstantiate,  Clone::symbol()
method  is called, which tries to recursively-copy symbol.
- in methods CloneName::cloneName and CloneType::cloneType  in
Templates.cpp, we getting stack overflow (first one more often).
Moreover, _cache member, which (as i can imagine) should protect from
overduplicating, still grows unlimitely.

So, guys, I maybe CAN fix this by myself, but I hadn't enough info how
this should work and how i can debug this? What checks/outputs/etc (I
hadn't found any qDebug or ostream methods) ?

Help please, I've totally stuck.