[Qt-creator] Creator UI, MDI vs SDI, tabs, etc.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:22:45 CEST 2015

On Wednesday September 23 2015 11:29:54 Hunger Tobias wrote:

Hi,

>We do not support tab bars since we think they just do not scale to the number of documents you have open in an IDE. So such a bar is a waste of space.

It could be optional and its use left to the judgement of those who know what's a waste of space and what isn't - the users ;)
As a counter-example: KDevelop doesn't support standalone windows but has a tab bar. It often becomes too wide (tab width isn't adapted) but you can move tabs around so it's always possible to have the "tabs of chief interest" accessible without need for scrolling.

>Having said that: How can you navigate your open documents in Qt Creator?
>There is navigation history (Alt-Left/Right) to go back to the places you had visited before (inside the same document and on to documents you had open earlier).

All of those require actions that I find unnecessary in most situations, and leading to a waste of time/energy when multiplied by the number of times I have to do perform them.

>> and/or 2) open document editors in separate windows (using the internal editor component of course)?
>
>Window>Open in new Window should do that.

So it shouldn't be very hard to add something like control-clicking on a file in the project navigator, or even some form of tear-off for a document that's already open? Or (horror! :P) an option that makes using separate windows the default?

>No idea what the mac uses as default fonts, sorry. But at least for some output panes you can nowadays adjust the font size with the + and - icons in their top bar.

Oh, I don't think the code calls for the presumed default font explicitly, family and size. I can't remember right now if there's a call to obtain the system font, or if that's what `QFont()` returns. It just seems useful to be able to configure the font used for those elements (and save it across restarts). I was going to suggest configuring just the size, but I think it'd be just as easy to make all aspects configurable.
BTW, if memory serves me well there was a request not so long ago for *larger* font sizes on HD displays...

Cheers,
René