[Qt-creator] Creator UI, MDI vs SDI, tabs, etc.

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Wed Sep 23 13:29:54 CEST 2015

Hi René,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have I missed a possibility in Creator to 1) show a tab bar

We do not support tab bars since we think they just do not scale to the number of documents you have open in an IDE. So such a bar is a waste of space.

Having said that: How can you navigate your open documents in Qt Creator?

There is a drop-down list of open editors in the top bar of the editor itself.

You can have a list of "open documents" in the side bar (Alt-O to trigger that if it is not visible already).

You can also Ctrl-Tab to get a pop-up with the last-opened documents (and Ctrl-Tab/Shift-Ctrl-Tab to go back and forth in that popup.

There is navigation history (Alt-Left/Right) to go back to the places you had visited before (inside the same document and on to documents you had open earlier).

And of course there is Ctrl-K, the locator, which makes it really easy to jump to any file/class/method/whatever, independently of whether those were open before or not.

Of course there also are the "switch header/source" (F4) and "follow symbol" (F2), but those are more code navigation than open document navigation.

> and/or 2) open document editors in separate windows (using the internal editor component of course)?

Window>Open in new Window should do that.

> Similarly, would it require patches in many distinct locations to use something other than the system font at the presumed default size (Lucida Grande 13pt or even 14pt on OS X) for elements like the side-bar, message/output/... panels and bottom button bar? I say presumed because that OS X itself uses size almost only for the toplevel menu.

No idea what the mac uses as default fonts, sorry. But at least for some output panes you can nowadays adjust the font size with the + and - icons in their top bar.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B