[Qt-creator] Creator UI, MDI vs SDI, tabs, etc.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:12:18 CEST 2015

On Wednesday September 23 2015 12:49:18 Ziller Eike wrote:

> Well, the resources to maintain it would unfortunately not be optional.

Fortunately I largely prefer standalone windows over tabs ;)

> You can also add a shortcut to “open in new window”.

Indeed. But again: that's an additional action that could be avoided.
BTW, not that I actually tried the feature: I noticed that the document remains open in the "main" window. Is that a feature?

> Dragging out of the Qt Creator window to open a new editor window might be possible, I haven’t investigated how that would work in Qt. No idea if it would be possible to do without destroying features like dragging into a terminal window to paste the path there (then the discussions can begin which feature is the more widely used one ;) ).

I just mentioned tear-off because I wasn't sure it would be possible to double-click on that "little document icon next to the document combo box" or the filename next to it, and let that action open the new window. "Open in new window" would be a worthy candidate for the drop-down menu under that icon, though!

> A way to configure fonts to be used for different parts of the UI would belong into the relatively new “Themes” feature of Qt Creator.
> That also requires the various parts to actually use such a setting.

Amen!

> Many places atm orient themselves at the application font, but it seems that not all do it. Also, using a larger font would require changing many parts of Qt Creator to be changed to use a adaptive layouting. And possibly icon sizes. Yes, that would require many patches ;).

Hmm, last time I looked at patching this issue myself, there were .ui files that seem(ed) to be used for at least some of the "offending" elements. Not that changing the font in those .ui files had any effect, but doesn't using a resource file provide at least some form of adaptive layout?
Also, when I start Creator with the xcb plugin on OS X, those elements use smaller fonts without any side-effects, so my expectation is that the text elements I find most in need of re/down sizing will scale just fine. ;)

> The request for larger font sizes afair mostly stemmed from (Qt on) Windows and Linux not having nice HiDPI support, which hopefully is much better with Qt 5.6.

As long as it doesn't mean "NormalDPI" support regresses; I find I have no need for HD screens at all (not at the current price premium at least ;))

Largely unrelated: what does it mean when Creator quits almost immediately with the message
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/opt/local/bin/cmake") is still running.
Broken pipe
Exit 141

(sometimes 2 QProcess errors in a row, and I'm not asking it to open a project)?

Cheers,
René