[Qt-creator] QT Creator, compiling and deploying a c or c++ to a remote device (BeagleBone or R pi)

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Sun Sep 27 23:57:56 CEST 2015

Hi Davide

Am Sonntag, 27. September 2015, 10:33:07 schrieb Davide Picchi:
> I'm trying since days to write and develop programs on my host pc (Ubuntu
> 64bit) using qt-creator for my beaglebone and raspberry pi devices. I
> looked for 'qt-creator cross compile beagle, raspberry etc...' and it leads
> me to hundred of links and tutorial on *how to compile qt-creator for my
> target plattform*. But seriously, that not my idea. All what I want is to
> simply use my pc for developing my programs and lately deploy them to the
> remote device.
>
> So first of all a noob question: *Is something wrong with my idea? Should I
> really compile the source of qt for beaglebone or raspberry on my pc for
> writing programs which lately should be run on that devices????*
I would guess there is nothing wrong but sometime its hard to get the signal
between the noise. Or you have some outdated information which makes it even
harder.
> I will not compile qt-creator again for another plattform, so I don't know
> how to find the right way. A lot of informations on internet are misleading.
Well i have written a short description for the rpi here:
https://gitlab.com/k6devel/ptxdist-raspberry-pi

I had also a repository for beagle bone and ptxdist but that went into some
bitbucket i guess. Its also a little more dated as i have been working on the
rpi2 as a hobby project.

> So after many hours spend look for the right information I come up with the
> following procedure:
Well i would start up with a cross build environment like buildroot,
OpenEmbedded (Yocto) or in my case ptxdist (... this is not a complete list,
just the ones that i came up with of first).  Its much simpler than setting
all the steps by hand: computers are for automation right? Well and even than
cross compiling is still harder than native compiling (but it really has
gotten better over the time).

Well the project linked above has also an outdated documentation, but its just
the versions that changed for building:
You need IIRC ptxdist-2015.02.0 instead of 2013.05.0 but other than that you
should be ready to go.

Qbs unfortunatly is currently not very good supported with ptxdist, so i would
recommend qmake for the start. You will finde the qmake in the project-
<platform-name>/sysroot-cross/bin.

Happy hacking
Tim