[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 8 13:22:00 CEST 2016

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Cristian Adam <cristian.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Hunger Tobias <Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > This whould not hurt anyone.
>
> This would hurt *everyone*.
>
> Everyone has less screen space for the important stuff. I routinely demo Qt
> Creator on screens with 1024x768 pixels. Try that with the competition that
> wastes screen space drawing drag handles around everything:-)
>
> You will also get lots of people wasting time on fiddling with the UI instead of
> getting their work done.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tobias
>
> Does docking require lots of code in QtC?

Yes.

> Seems like you derive from a different
> base class and then everything works by *magic*.

No.
There are features that would need to be adapted, like sharing of nav side bar between modes, Alt+0 nav side bar hiding, nav sidebar splitting, sensible integration with the modes that already have dock widgets, escape key logic (which closes extra panels like output panes and context help), the output panes in general, and possibly more.