[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Mon Apr 11 10:02:38 CEST 2016

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 3:43 PM, Prav <pr12og2 at programist.ru> wrote:
>
> Hi, Ziller Eike
>

>> There are features that would need to be adapted, like
>> sharing of nav side bar between modes,

Just to make clear: That was the answer to the question “wouldn’t it be just exchanging the base class of something to QMainWindow/QDockWidget”.

> Nav bar is the one which selects modes? If yes ... it is small ... can be kept as is.

Not that one.

> If you mean the one which have "Open docs" and "Projets" pannels then
> why it is needed if all pannels would be docked to each other the way
> user wants.

E.g. Edit mode and Debug mode share the exact same navigation side bar. They are in the exact same state. Actually it is the same widget instance.
Additionally, mode widgets do not have a common base.

> But sidebar class(es) itself can be kept as manger of dockable panels (which are now closed inside sidebar)
>

>> Alt+0 nav side bar hiding
> Easy decision ... hide all dockable-pannels which is currenlty included in sidebar
>
>> nav sidebar splitting
> DockWindows can split themselves ... or this is about something else

This is about how much code needs to be rewritten to make this work.

>> sensible integration with the modes that already have dock widgets
> Mmm ... what? DockWindows can be docked to currect DockWindows. What is "sensible integration”?

See above about Debug and Edit mode.

>> escape key logic (which closes extra panels like output panes and context help the output panes in general, and possibly more.
> Nothing really need to be changed ... you can hide same pannels as now with ESC.
> Why we need touch this?

If we are not talking about making output panes dockable - fine. But I don’t see why we wouldn’t be talking about that.