[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

Prav pr12og2 at programist.ru
Fri Apr 8 15:43:41 CEST 2016

Hi, Ziller Eike

> There are features that would need to be adapted, like
> sharing of nav side bar between modes,
Nav bar is the one which selects modes? If yes ... it is small ... can be kept as is.

If you mean the one which have "Open docs" and "Projets" pannels then
why it is needed if all pannels would be docked to each other the way
user wants.
But sidebar class(es) itself can be kept as manger of dockable panels (which are now closed inside sidebar)

> Alt+0 nav side bar hiding
Easy decision ... hide all dockable-pannels which is currenlty included in sidebar

> nav sidebar splitting
DockWindows can split themselves ... or this is about something else

> sensible integration with the modes that already have dock widgets
Mmm ... what? DockWindows can be docked to currect DockWindows. What is "sensible integration"?

> escape key logic (which closes extra panels like output panes and context help the output panes in general, and possibly more.
Nothing really need to be changed ... you can hide same pannels as now with ESC.
Why we need touch this?

We are speaking only about dockability of pannels ... everything else ... why we need change it?

Let's do not include other ideas to this dockability feature if they are not "must have" for work of this feature

There is also a way to not touch sidebar but create new dockable pannels with same content as in pannels of sidebar.
I am not sure that I described idea clearly ... can do more if needed ...
but this seems like the most easy way to adapt dockability ... like do not touch current structure but add dockable panels which will
reuse implementation of current side-bar pannels (which may be need to be adapted a little bit for use in both sidebar and in dockable pannels).