[Qt-creator] Qt Creator multi versions

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Wed Apr 13 09:48:30 CEST 2016

On Mi, 2016-04-13 at 09:22 +0200, ekke wrote:
> What's the best to deal with multi versions of Qt and Qt Creator ?
>
> per ex. had installed Qt 5.6.0 RC together with Qt Creator 3.6.0
> then installed Qt 5.6.0 together with Qt Creator 3.6.1
>
> noticed that preferences are shared between both versions

Yes, all versions share their settings.

Creator does update settings from one version to the next, but it is basically
undefined what will happen when you start an old Qt Creator version with
settings from a newer version.

> detection of Qt itself, Compilers, ... worked well - Qt Creator seems to
> find it all relative to directory where Qt Creator was installed

Nope. Autodetection of compilers and Qt versions are based on PATH and (for MSVC
windows) the registry. The Qt installer will also make its components known
using the SDKtool (via files in the shared/qtcreator/QtProject folder of the Qt
Creator installation).

> then I wanted to use two different Project directories, but this path is
> shared from both installations.
> Is there a way to install multi versions of Qt using different pathes
> for Project Dir ?

There is the "-settingspath" command line argument for that.

If you build Qt Creator yourself you can also change the "vendor" which is used
in the default settings path. By default that is QtProject.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft: