[Qt-creator] QtCreator does not read settings (profiles) created by sdktool on Linux 64Bit

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:29:43 CET 2016

Hi Markus,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Liebe Markus (RtP2/TEF72)
<Markus.Liebe at de.bosch.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have the following working workflow on a 32Bit OpenSuSE system:
>
> use the "sdktool" that comes with QtCreator (/usr/bin/sdktool) to create
> Toolchains etc. and combine them to Kits.
> QtCreator stores the settings in /usr/share/qtcreator/QtProject/*.xml
> When I now start QtCreator it uses those settings as per user templates and
> merges the settings into ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator/*.xml
> Then the kits are available for using in QtCreator
>
> using OpenSuSE 42.1 64Bit I do the following:
>
> use the "sdktool" that comes with QtCreator
> (/usr/lib64/qtcreator/libexec/sdktool) to create Toolchains etc. and combine
> them to Kits.
> QtCreator stores the settings in /usr/lib64/share/qtcreator/QtProject/*.xml
> When I now start QtCreator it uses not the settings stored in
> /usr/lib64/share/qtcreator/QtProject/*.xml but reads the settings from
> /usr/share/qtcreator/QtProject/*.xml
>
> Is there a way to either make sdktool write to the directory that QtCreator
> reads,

>From the output of "sdktool --help":
Qt Creator SDK setup tool.
    Usage: /home/code/build/qtcreator-super-clang/qtcreator/libexec/qtcreator/sdktool
<ARGS> <OPERATION> <OPERATION_ARGS>

ARGS:
    --help|-h                Print this help text
    --sdkpath=PATH|-s PATH   Set the path to the SDK files

> or let QtCreator read from the directory that sdktool uses on the
> 64Bit OS?

The sdktool is installed into libexec/qtcreator/, the Qt Creator
binary into bin/ and the settings are expected in
share/qtcreator/IDE_SETTINGSVARIANT_STR/qtcreator/ (with
IDE_SETTINGSVARIANT_STR defaulting to QtProject) by our build system.

If the distribution changes that layout, then it needs to adjust the
paths build into the binaries to find those settings. In this case
they apparently missed the sdktool. They will need to edit DATA_PATH
in src/tools/sdktool/sdktool.pro to fix this.

I suggest you report a bug against the packages you are using.

Best Regards,
Tobias