[Qt-creator] Problems with single file builds in Qbs

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at qt.io
Fri Jun 17 10:31:46 CEST 2016

On 06/16/2016 08:20 PM, Epting, Thomas wrote:
>>> We're running into troubles with single file builds in Qbs projects.
>>> Consider this use case: You want to compile a single file of the
>>> project, even though some else files still have compilation problems.
>
>> I cannot reproduce the problem. Please file a bug report; we can then continue with the details on JIRA.
>
> I created a minimal project and steps to reproduce it. Since I was unsure whether to report this as a Creator or a Qbs problem, I reported it via commercial support.
>
> ---
> The attached SingleFileBuild.zip file contains a minimal project that shows the problem.

Yes, I can reproduce the reported behavior. Presumably we forget to
instruct the build process that it should not only skip building
higher-level artifacts, but also installing.

> This problem is especially annoying in large projects where you cannot get all bugs fixed so easily as shown in note (2) above.

Note, however, that the problem is purely of a cosmetical nature: Your
file does get compiled as requested, and the error message you receive
afterwards is for a step that you were not interested in anyway (and
that could not possibly have succeeded, as the application binary is
indeed not present).

Christian