[Qt-creator] Problems with single file builds in Qbs

Epting, Thomas thomas.epting at stryker.com
Fri Jun 17 10:51:34 CEST 2016

> > This problem is especially annoying in large projects where you cannot get all bugs fixed so easily as shown in note (2) above.

> Note, however, that the problem is purely of a cosmetical nature: Your file does get compiled as requested,
> and the error message you receive afterwards is for a step that you were not interested in anyway (and that
> could not possibly have succeeded, as the application binary is indeed not present).

I agree the file is compiled anyway. However the resulting output is not what developers are expecting. In addition to the "Installation error" message, the Issues pane is flooded with messages "The following products could not be built..." along with a potentially very long list of products that could not be build. All these messages are marked as errors (red exclamation mark). This creates extra confusion on developer side, since all they wanted to see is whether their single file could compile or not. I got complaints about this from our developers, and even very experienced ones could not understand what's really going on.

Thomas