[Qt-creator] Etiquette for getting code reviews, and who to ask

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Jun 23 11:23:40 CEST 2016

On Do, 2016-06-23 at 17:57 +1000, Marc Reilly wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I find/determine who is best/able to review code, and is it
> considered impolite to just add people as reviewers?
>
> I have a series which is similar to another which one which was previously
> accepted, so I would start will those people, but it seems kinda rude to
> just add everyone en-masse.
>
> Anyway, if anyone is interested, I've implemented a hover handler which
> will preview images from .qrc files when mouse hovers over a
> "qrc:/file/image.png" bit of text. At the moment it is just for cpp files..
>
> The series is 4 commits, and starts with:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/158305/

Hi Marc,

it is perfectly fine to add people as reviewers, in fact your review request
will probably fall through the cracks without assigning some reviewers.

How to find potential reviewers?

A good place to start is https://wiki.qt.io/Maintainers : Maintainers
volunteered for code reviews by accepting the maintainer role:-)

Git blame is also a good start: The person that shows up the most or that last
worked on the code you are changing is most likely also knowledgeable about what
it does, so they make great reviewers, too.

Usually it does not hurt to have at least one @theqtcompany.com or @qt.io email
in the list of reviewers: We do have more time to spend on Qt Creator than most
contributors (not all of them, some seem to put in more work hours per week than
I do!), so we usually have more time for code reviews, too.

I hope this helps a bit,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der