[Qt-creator] Very slow startup / autodetecting hardening versions of gcc and clang

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Mar 5 16:03:18 CET 2016

On Mittwoch, 23. September 2015 15:51:22 CET Tobias Hunger wrote:
> Hi Wilhelm,
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Wilhelm <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:
> > I'm using qtcreator 3.5.0 with qt 5.5.0 on arch-linux.
> >
> > I experience very long startup times running qtcreator. Starting from
>
> > bash results in:
> <snip>
>
> > QByteArray ProjectExplorer::runGcc(const Utils::FileName&, const
> > QStringList&, const QStringList&): Timeout running
> > '/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++'.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1) What may be the cause to get the timeouts?
>
> The hardening-wrapper package.
>
> /usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++ does not like the arguments we pass
> to it: E.g. "-xc++ -E -dM /dev/null" does not produce any output, so
> the code model would be broken for this compiler -- if it would have
> been detected properly).
>
> Please report a bug against the tool: That wrapper should not
> interfere with the output of the wrapped application in such a way.

When I try to launch Qt Creator I'm also suffering from this issue on
ArchLinux. But this works as expected, and indeed KDevelop has never had any
issues with it:

echo | /usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++ -xc++ -E -dM -

Compiling also works as expected. So I really think that something Qt Creator
does is not correct... Looking at strace, I see that Qt Creator starts with
the above and then keeps recursing into things like

/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++ -B/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin -fstack-
check -fstack-protector-strong -B/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin -fPIE -fstack-
check -fstack-protector-strong -xc++ -E -dM -

Are you tinkering with the PATH inside Qt Creator? Note again that this works
as expected on the CLI and for KDevelop as well.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de