[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 4.0 Green Font Color in Welcome screen

Diana de Sousa diana.desousa at qt.io
Mon May 23 15:46:12 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

> Hello,
>
> i am using QtCreator now for years and have tested QtCreator 4.0 beta and
> rc1 recently.
>
> Would it be possible to rethink the decision regarding the green Font Color
> at the Welcome Screen of QtCreator? I know that this green is the color of
> Qt, but does the text therefor have to be green aswell?
>
> Try using the dark theme and then you might see what i mean. This green
> color and dark gray background are unfortunately not made for each other.
> It works with the white flat theme, but using dark theme not.
>
> Please reconcider before the final release. I would suggest to keep the
> font color white as in the previous versions.

Thanks for noticing this, and indeed, having the green color for the text on the project titles is not the intended final result.

The thing is, these dark / flat themes are still work in progress, so while some colors have already been changed to the intended final outcome, others have not.

What is planned is that once the design is finalised, it’s the icons that will be green, not the text (except for short word links). Also the grey in the background will be darker, so the green will seem more bright that currently. You can preview the Welcome page design plan here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3_csXn2cL0Ya3ZEOF81TUhqczA/view?usp=sharing

> By the way: The green color you are currently using in QtCreator 4.0 (i
> picked the color of the green grid of the welcome logo at top left, above
> edit) is
> R: 127
> G: 194
> B: 66
>

> The new Qt Color at qt.io is
> R: 8
> G: 210
> B: 86
>
> Its a bit more neon colorish - which generally seems to be the next big
> trend. See the spotify logo, google Play icons redesign, iTunes and many
> more.

About the RGB codes for the green, the Qt neon green used on the website is actually R65 G205 B82 and the green used for web text is R23 G168 B26. But we are not yet transposing these greens to the Qt Creator UI, as I need to make sure they work with all the other colors and grey tones which we have currently in Qt Creator.

So, the green used in that Qt Creator mockup image is R128 G195 B66 both for icons and text, which is the same green we were using before the re-brand.

> For the 4.0 release maybe you could take the chance to also redesign the
> QtCreator Logo so that it is consistent to the new color qt color scheme.

The aim is to have a new Qt Creator logo when 5.7 is released. Replacing the Qt logo is easy, but we didn’t yet have time to re-design the stylised leaf that completes the Qt Creator logo.

> Also this blue color you are using now for the "Edit Mode Icon" looks not
> conform to my expectations. For years using Qt Creator, I was conditioned
> that this blue is related to debugging. Now its for edit - thats very
> weird. Why not keeping it white as it was?

The Edit icon color is actually more towards purple (#99aaef) than blue. The reason that it’s not white is because the Normal state of the icons is now a very light grey, and having the Edit icon white when Selected would not give it enough contrast to distinguish it from the other Normal icons.

I didn’t think this would cause a problem when I was making the new icon colors because purple/blue was already widely used in the Classic style: Debug, Projects and Analyze all have similar purple/blue color... So for the flat version I thought of differentiating a bit, and new colors were introduced (yellow, green). You can check the chosen selected colors here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3_csXn2cL0YNlpZWXhib2dOcWM/view?usp=sharing

If this causes a problem though and we notice many people giving feedback about the same issue, we can of course consider changing colors.

> Im generally not agains making changes to try out new ideas, but personally
> id change those points i mentioned. This is not a complaining mail, but i
> rather try to be constructive and give user feedback.

I really appreciate constructive feedback, thanks! Hope I answered your questions.