[Qt-creator] About building plugins without whole source tree

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Nov 23 16:54:46 CET 2016

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Kakadu <kakadu.hafanana at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey, folks
>
> At the moment we need to compile QtCreator itself to setup right paths
> and compile a plugin.  I'm kind of curious is it possible to compile
> QtCreator, do `make install` and do `make install-some-dev-files`
> after that to be able not to store whole source and build files that
> are required to compile a pluign (I think only some headers and shared
> objects are really required).
>
> This thing should generally be possible because GNU/Linux -dev
> packages suit the same purpose. I just do not want to dive into
> packaging scripts... Maybe you have this thing described in some wiki
> page which I'm not aware about?

Check out <qtcreator_src>/scripts/createDevPackage.py
Takes a source tree and a build tree and collects all things that are need besides the result of ‘make install’.
I.e. if you set IDE_SOURCE_TREE/QTC_SOURCE to the result of createDevPackage.py and IDE_BUILD_TREE/QTC_BUILD to the result of ‘make install’, you should be able to build a plugin against that, without the need to keep the whole build directory (or source directory).
Should also work on all platforms (Lin/Win/mac).

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer