[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 4.3.0, Qt 5.9.0: problems with cmake support

Helmut Mülner helmut.muelner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:39:04 CEST 2017

On Jun 1, 2017 18:19, "Helmut Mülner" <helmut.muelner at gmail.com <mailto:helmut.muelner at gmail.com> > wrote:

Running "C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe -E server "--pipe=\\.\pipe\{cdb7ec38-096b-4a3d-9b84-fc91923889d4}" --experimental" in C:\Users\mue\AppData\Local\Temp\QtCreator-P1XkOA\qtc-cmake-XXF8mA7w.

The C compiler identification is unknown The CXX compiler identification is unknown CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (project):

  No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.

Does your project contain files that need to be built with a c compiler? You might want to tell cmake not to bother checking for one if not:-) PROJECT has a way to do that.

This is not relevant here. The Microsoft-C-Compiler is always the same as the Microsoft-C++-Compiler.

The stuff is in profiles.xml. Do not bother to delete that, just fix it!

The profiles.xml looks ok as far as I can tell.

In QtCreator I have the following kits:

-       Qt 5.8.0 (msvc2013)

-       Qt 5.8.0 (msvc2013-64)

-       Qt 5.9.0 (msvc2013-64)

-       Qt 5.9.0 (msvc2015(

-       Qt 5.9.0 (msvc2015_64)

-       Qt 5.9.0 (msvc2017-64)

All of them except the last one work with the QtCreator cmake integration.

All of them (including msvc2017-64)  work with qmake.

If I open a VS2017 developer console and run cmake (or cmake-gui) there I can generate a working VS2017 solution.

I suspect that QtCreator does not set up the environment correctly before calling cmake.

I also tried to start QtCreator from a VS2017 developer console, but this also did not work.

Also tried the “x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2017” and started QtCreator from there – without success.

I always get this output:

Running "C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe -E server "--pipe=\\.\pipe\{7fc4b436-7358-4002-8feb-2380442290e4}" --experimental" in C:\Users\mue\AppData\Local\Temp\QtCreator-bE7tFd\qtc-cmake-XXqOkacn.

The C compiler identification is unknown

The CXX compiler identification is unknown

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (project):

No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment

variable "CC" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_C_COMPILER to the full path to

the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (project):

No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment

variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path

to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

See also "C:/Users/mue/AppData/Local/Temp/QtCreator-bE7tFd/qtc-cmake-XXqOkacn/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

See also "C:/Users/mue/AppData/Local/Temp/QtCreator-bE7tFd/qtc-cmake-XXqOkacn/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

If I use the “x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2017” and go to the Temp folder with the error logs, there is a subfolder “3.8.2”

With two subfolders for the compiler checks.

When I do “cl -c CMakeCCompilerId.c” I get the output:

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.10.25019 for x86

CMakeCCompilerId.c

And with “cl -c CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp”:

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.10.25019 for x86

CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp

My conclusion: QtCreator/cmake did not find the compiler.

The BOOST mailing list had some discussion about problems with VS2017 some weeks ago.

Some links:

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/04/234552.php

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/03/234024.php

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/02/232805.php