[Qt-creator] Gcc and internationalization

Frédéric Marchal frederic.marchal at wowtechnology.com
Fri Mar 17 10:10:20 CET 2017

On Thursday 16 March 2017 09:52:58 Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 08:52 +0100, Frédéric Marchal wrote:
>
> > Two features of QtCreator are broken if gcc messages are translated.
>

> Yes, that is correct. The entire parsing of compiler output is based on
> strings... and the GCC people thought it is a good idea to translate things
> like "error" and "warning" that Creator latches onto.
>
> MSVC does not do that, so that still mostly works, even when translations
> are present.

For the record, I started a thread about this on the gcc mailing list:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2017-03/msg00103.html

In the meantime, can I customize the parsing rule for gcc myself or is it hard
coded into QtCreator?

I just need to detect "erreur" instead of "error" and "avertissement" instead
of "warning".

I'm reluctant to scratch gcc translations for "error: " and "warning: " as
there are other categories such as "sorry, unimplemented: " or "internal
compiler error: " that can't be left untranslated.

> Creator should start the GCC with the C locale enforced. If that is not the
> case, then that is a bug I will need to look into.

May I help you by providing some more information or running some checks?

Frederic