[Qt-creator] Gcc and internationalization

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Mar 16 10:52:58 CET 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 08:52 +0100, Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Qt Creator 4.2.1 Based on Qt 5.8.0 (GCC 5.3.1 20160406 (Red Hat
> 5.3.1-6), 64 bit) Built on Jan 20 2017 01:20:15 From revision 7071b61e02.
>
> Two features of QtCreator are broken if gcc messages are translated.

Yes, that is correct. The entire parsing of compiler output is based on
strings... and the GCC people thought it is a good idea to translate things like
"error" and "warning" that Creator latches onto.

MSVC does not do that, so that still mostly works, even when translations are
present.

> Is there something I can do from the QtCreator side to fix it?
>
> Or should I open two bug reports?

I do not consider these two to be bugs: I fully expect that to not work and I do
not see any way we will ever be able to enable that (without GCC producing a
machine-readable output that is:-).

Creator should start the GCC with the C locale enforced. If that is not the
case, then that is a bug I will need to look into.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B