[Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.3 Beta and CMake 3.7.x Server Mode Slowness

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 19:08:20 CET 2017

Hi Mike,

you are not the first to report this:-/ This needs to be fixed before
the release.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been testing the nightly builds of 4.3 and the main issue that I am
> running into for our project is that most everything is very slow. From
> slowness is somehow attributed to using CMake 3.7.x and its server mode. If
> I load my project using CMake 3.6 then the everything returns be being fast
> again.

That is interesting: The only difference between server mode and
tealeafreading mode is in getting data from cmake and parsing that
data. After the project data is read, everything is using exactly the
same code.

The project tree is a bit different, but that should not be noticable.

> My point is NOT to complain since I understand these features are
> experimental and still being developed. If by the the final release the
> slowness is still there, is there going to be a way to turn OFF the CMake
> server mode link if I am using CMake 3.7?

None is planed.

> We are starting to depend on a few
> of the CMake 3.7 features but then that causes QtCreator to just drag down
> in speed to the point where it becomes somewhat unusable.

I never had that happen to me before. Is one of the projects you work
with open source so that I can test with that?

Could you try with clean settings (just run with -settingspath
/tmp/foo)? Does it get faster if you disable non-essential plugins?

Did you notice that slowdown before? You said you started to depend on
some of those features, so I guess you did run server-mode before:-)

> Thanks and keep up the great work with the CMake integration. It has come so
> far and I really enjoy working with QtCreator.

You are welcome.

Best Regards,
Tobias