[Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.3 Beta and CMake 3.7.x Server Mode Slowness

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:32:35 CEST 2017

Tobias Hunger wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Mike Jackson<imikejackson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Please try again with the upcoming nightly builds. For Cristian they make
>>> things
>>> work better: Initial project tree setup went down from 140s to 2s for his
>>> project. I hope you will see similar results.
>>
>> I did a HUGE improvement in load speed. Not counting the actual running of
>> CMake, the load time is definitely under 10 seconds now. MUCH much better.
>
> Great!

I may spoke too soon on that one. I am getting some long load times and
this happens after I initially load the project, then adjust some cmake
files, then right-click on the project and "run cmake". Then I get some
long load times up around  30 - 40 seconds. Odd.

>> Is there anything I can do differently in our CMake files to get the headers
>> to be actual project files. They all show with a light gray text which means
>> code completion does not work in the files.
>
> The light grey means they were not explicitly listed in cmake, but
> cmake did have an include path to that location.
>
> You should also get headers in black -- provided you listed your
> headers as SOURCES in cmake. Those will be with the other sources in
> the respective target.
>
> Whether a header is grey or black should not have any influence on the
> code model: It evaluates the include paths only.

I do have them all explicitly listed in the CMake files. Oddly I did get
1 to show up with black text while the project was open, I was editing a
CMake file (SourceList.cmake) and added a .h and .cpp file. created the
files on the file system. Went back to Creator, right-click the
project->"Run CMake" and that single header showed as black text. Odd.

>> Thanks for the improvements.
>
> I did look into the duplicate Source Directories you reported today.
> Those are caused by the same target being listed for different
> projects, but so far I could not see how those targets ended up in
> different projects. I think that is not even allowed in cmake, IIRC
> the target names need to be unique per build system. I will need to
> check the docs again to make sure though.
>
> I need to think about what to do in such a situation. It will probably
> be best to mark up the targets as "project::target" or something and
> keep them separate.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tobias

I would vote for that just to help us clean up our CMake codes. If we
have something messed up that the other generators deal better with
(Althrough the Xcode generator would show similar issues) then it would
be a big help for us.

Thanks
Mike Jackson