[Qt-creator] Disabling auto-reload of qbs files

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 23:12:24 CET 2017

On 22/11/2017 10:57 PM, Christian Kandeler wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 17:27:11 +1300 Christian Gagneraud
> <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When i work with QtC and qbs, and i need to tweak my qbs files,
>> Qtc auto-reload my project each time I save a qbs file, which in my
>> case means ca. 1 minute of un-usability.
>
> First of all, that seems too long. Can you please file a task and
> assign it to me? I'll provide you with instructions on how to see
> where the time is spent. (Chances are it's somewhere else in Creator,
> as project resolving happens in its own thread and should thus not
> freeze the GUI).

I have to say it's hard to reproduce, it's morning here, and my machine
restarted overnight, so I've just run QtC and opened my project, and i
cannot notice any slow down yet.

As the day goes i will try to report the exact condition(s), but i think
it has to do with:
- Edit qbs (a build might be running)
- kill build and save qbs
- The qbs process kicks in
- The "Scanning for tests" kicks in
- The code model process kicks in
- Hit build  again (maybe while the test scan and code model are still
running)

Thinking further as i type this message, this could be actually a
resource problem with my machine: "only" 4 cores, it's a VM (gnome/mir
thingy) that has poor graphical performance (I had to disable some gnome
settings).
I'm constantly monitoring the CPU load, and I've notice that QtC is
resource intensive (that might be due to the code model and test scanning).

>> I would prefer to edit and save my qbs files as I wish, and then
>> explicitly tell QtC to "re-run qbs".
>>
>> I think the auto-reload is very useful on small project, but is
>> not desirable on big projects. It would be nice to have an option
>> somewhere to control this behaviour.
>>
>> Any comment on this feature request? I'm sure I'm not the only one
>> to be "hit" by this.
>
> Independent of the build system, there are certain cases where the
> "auto-reload" functionality is annoying, e.g. when you type in a new
> build directory (there is a delay, but it only helps so much). On the
> other hand, suppose you could switch that off via some hypothetical
> checkbox. If you then forget to manually reload, Creator will have an
> outdated view of the project, which may result in surprising behavior
> e.g. regarding the code model, in turn leading to bogus bug reports.
> That's not to be underestimated.

I fully agree with you, but i feel comfortable with that.
The reason being that, on this project, right now, i mainly do "qbs
stuff" within QtC, my goal is to build this project with QtC and Qbs. At
this stage, I do not really care about up-to-date code model (which
takes quite some time) and the auto-tests (which takes quite some time
too, but I've now disabled this plugin).
I would say that the size of my project is very roughly similar to QtC's
one. My Qbs files are actually not complicated, there's no crazy
dependency, ...

Basically my work flow is:
- try to build
- analyse build failure
- tweak Qbs
- rince and repeat

Will see later in the day, if I can capture the scenario and i have the
feeling that it's not due to my VM, I will create a ticket with all the
necessary details.

Thanks for your help,
Chris