[Qt-creator] Requesting repository for Haskell support in Qt Creator

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Mon Oct 9 10:43:41 CEST 2017

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 19:44, Kakadu <Kakadu at protonmail.ch> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Eike.
>
> Can you tell me about the motivation for this project?

In arbitrary order:

Personal fun.

Learning more about Haskell (e.g. learned a lot of fun stuff about lexical structure).

I’m comfortable with Qt Creator and don’t want to relearn other IDE’s features regarding e.g. navigation, VCS integration, building, running,…
I’m probably don't write enough Haskell to actually get as comfortable with another IDE.
So far I’ve mostly used the Atom editor with the various Haskell plugins, I’m sure there is some VCS integration somewhere, but really I don’t want to care ;)
Otherwise the pure code editing experience is pretty ok in Atom, though it also doesn’t help much with getting stuff up and running, and I don’t know about building and running Haskell applications from Atom.

Getting my hands dirty with implementing code editor and project support in Qt Creator. (Even though I knew parts of the code, it was still enlightening, and led to a few simplifications.)

> Haskell should have some integrations with another editors/IDEs, do community want some improvements in that area?

I don’t know what the Haskell community wants, though I’d claim wrt support in various editors and IDEs the more is the better for a language. Editors are very much a question of personal preference. If I don’t feel comfortable editing + navigating in an IDE, the benefits from features in the IDE versus my favorite editor must be very big to convince me to use it.

> Can QtCreator integration beat everything else?

Currently definitely not, in the future probably not. I don’t have any “killer features” on the list. No idea if anyone does e.g. backend stuff in Haskell and frontend stuff in Qt/C++ and would benefit from having Haskell and C++ support in the same IDE either. I do want to try keeping a viewpoint on the first-time or casual user (even though the current version is lacking in this regard too).

> I actually did some work about integration QtCreator and analysis backend (a.k.a. merlin) for OCaml language (only error highlighting and go-to-definition work at the moment) but the folks seems not to be very excited about it.

The people of the “core” of the community, be it Haskell or OCaml, probably have found their ways with existing tools (or have written some that scratch their personal itches already). See above regarding personal preferences for editors.

I’m happy if anyone finds this Haskell integration useful, be it for their own experiments in the Haskell world, or as another place to peek into how things can get integrated into Qt Creator.
(And since _I_ find it useful for both, I’m already happy ;) )

> Reusing QtQuick developing features with `OCamlCreator` can be a killer feature but I'm not sure about it.
>

> Happy hacking,
> Kakadu

👍

Br, Eike